16 Jul 2019
The director of the Sistine Chapel Choir, which has provided the musical backdrop to papal events for centuries, has resigned following allegations of fraud and embezzlement.
Monsignor Massimo Palombella has “concluded his service” after Pope Francis approved his request to end his tenure, the Vatican said in a statement on Wednesday. Palombella, 51, has held the post for nine years.
The choir, made up of men and boys and one of the world’s oldest, sings at papal Masses, records for a major label, and tours.
Wednesday’s statement made no mention of an internal investigation involving Palombella and Michelangelo Nardella, a layman who was once the choir’s administrative director and tour manager.
Both have denied wrongdoing. Palombella’s lawyer said she had no comment and Nardella’s lawyer did not immediately return a call.
Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti said the investigation, which began last year to probe possible financial irregularities, was continuing.
By Philip Pullella, Reuters, 10 July 2019
Read more at Reuters
Count this content towards your CPD minutes, by signing up to our CPD WalletFREE CPD Wallet