Swiss authorities return seized $37 million to CONMEBOL
15 Oct 2020

AP — Swiss authorities said Wednesday they are returning about $37 million in seized funds to South American soccer confederation CONMEBOL.

The money is linked to a Swiss corruption investigation into CONMEBOL’S former president Nicolás Leoz of Paraguay and former secretary-general Eduardo Deluca of Argentina. Leoz and Deluca were among the targets of a probe launched in 2015, led by U.S. federal prosecutors with help of Swiss authorities. They were among nearly 20 officials accused of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering.

The Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG) said in a statement the funds were in frozen bank accounts and had been “unlawfully acquired” at CONMEBOL’s expense.

“As the party suffering harm within the respective criminal proceedings is doubtlessly known – the CONMEBOL – the forfeited funds will be returned directly to it,” the OAG said.

The Swiss authority added Leoz and Deluca “abused their positions” and “unlawfully enriched themselves and possibly other persons.”

By Mauricio Savarese, Associated Press, 14 October 2020

Read more at the Associated Press

RiskScreen: Eliminating Financial Crime with Smart Technology

You can claim CPD minutes for this content, by signing up to our CPD Wallet

FREE CPD Wallet